I dyed my hair this Saturday night!
For the dye I used Manic Panic’s Enchanted Forest
The dye is a bit different than the color in a box dyes. But it’s actually fairly easy to apply. I did not bleach my hair before hand. My natural hair color is a medium brown. It’s definitely not completely black. But I wonder what it would have looked like on someone with dark dark hair. The effect probably won’t be as obvious.
SOME HELPFUL TIPS!
1. before you dye, definitely wash your hair with something that removes oil. I have seen people recommend dish washing soap. I didn’t use that. I used Pear Transparent soap. I use it once in a while instead of body wash because it really removes oil! And works just as well on hair.
2. Dry your hair before coloring
3. Lay down saran wrap all over your bathroom. If you have a ceramic tub/sink. It’ll be easier to clean. But if this gets on white plastic it’s very difficult if not impossible to remove. I got some on the light switch…
4. LEAVE THE DYE IN for at least an hour, the longer, the more effective. When you dye it, brush it in as evenly as possible. Ask a friend to help for the back. I didn’t have a friend to help so it looks uneven and messy from the back. Use a lot of it to get the lighter color.
5. Turn on the fan in your bathroom. It kinda smells…
6. When you rinse, use cold water. This might be hard if it’s the winter time and you really might get sick from taking a cold shower. Just rinse with your head under the faucet in the tub. Use lukewarm water if you can’t do cold.
7. Don’t take a cold shower. Just not too hot. rinse more, rinse rinse rinse until the water is clear. I’m pretty sure you won’t be able to get it to be completely clear.
8. Dry your hair completely before sleeping. THE DYE DOES TRANSFER. On towels/pillows. Put a towel down on your pillow if you aren’t 100% sure.
I am surprisingly satisfied with the results! I can’t believe I got the color to be this light. I think I’ll try purple next time…
edit: i ate pizza today so my entire self was one big oily mess. i decided to shampoo my hair and a lot of the color is gone. sad face. so really really brush a lot of color in to maintain it. some parts of it was still good but a lot of it is now gone which is super sad